Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Italian Sausage and Peppers... Sort of.

I make a very good Italian sausage and peppers recipe with green peppers, onion, fennel, tomatoes, pasta and of course, sausage.  There are three things wrong with this when you are on phase one of the 17 Day Diet: fennel, pasta, and sausage.

Last weekend at the grocery store I discovered that you could buy Italian Sausage made with turkey.  I just had to try and make sausage and peppers with it.  I decided from the get-go that I should just leave out the fennel and the pasta.  (By the way, I'm not sure why fennel is not an "approved" vegetable for phase one, but it isn't.)  Also, I substituted orange peppers for green peppers because the price of green peppers is outrageous right now.

It was edible, but only left me wishing that I could have had the real thing.  You can find turkey versions of a lot of items that are typically made with red meat.  I've tried a few and I have not liked any.  I'm okay with letting turkey be turkey.

On a positive note, I was driving along a stretch of road today that I don't normally travel down and found a fresh meat market and country store.  I have been wondering for a long time where I could get fresh meat around here.  I plan to go check it out sometime soon.  Hopefully they have some chicken breasts there that don't look like they were hacked apart with a machete.

I've lost another pound!  I have just under three to go by next Monday.  If I keep at my current pace, I should get there!  Yippee!

No comments: