Friday, February 4, 2011

I Can Run!?!

I ran at 6.0 mph for 20 minutes out of my 25 minute workout this morning!  I kept an eye on the odometer and I hit the 2 mile mark at about 21 minutes.  I'm totally geeked!

You have to understand that I've never been an athlete.  I didn't play any recreational sports growing up.  I grew up on a farm.  We had a roadside produce stand and someone had to be there to man it.  My parents paid my brother, sister, and I a very good allowance to help plant, weed, and harvest the produce.  Obviously, this taught us all a thing or two about hard work and its payoffs... but it did not groom me to be an athlete.

Aside from one year of sitting on the bench at our JV volleyball games, I didn't play any sports in school.  I spent most of high school getting basically no exercise.  I think the only time I exercised was when I had to help put hay in the barn at home.  Trust me, that's heavy cardio for someone that never does anything else.

A friend convinced me to join Curves right after graduation.  Within a year I'd lost about forty pounds and was feeling great.  I've never gone back. It's been sporadic at times, but fitness has been a part of my life ever since.  I've only been running on and off for the last six months, so you can understand my excitement over today's awesome run.

I've put back on 25 of those 40 pounds.  Make that 21.6.  If I work really hard that number will be 17 by the end of this month.

No comments: