Saturday, January 1, 2011

January 1, 2011... The Beginning.

If you're reading this, you probably know me.  If you didn't, you probably wouldn't even know that this blog exists.  That being said, I'd like to explain to you the reasons that I've decided to start keeping a blog.

You know me, so you know that I've been at perpetual war with my weight, my fitness level, and my self-esteem since I was about 13.  I turned 27 this year.  I'm not going to sit here and blame society.  Coldstone didn't force-feed that delicious ice cream to me all summer long.  Facebook has not threatened to end my life if I don't spend at least a half hour each day sitting on my ass, staring at my Newsfeed.  My husband won't divorce me if I don't make him shepherd's pie, homemade macaroni and cheese, and ragu bolognese.  I am the only person to blame.

I declared the latest battle on my waistline this morning in my Facebook status.  Every year on January 1st I start some new plan to lose weight and get fit.  Like most people, I do pretty well for the first few months and then fall off of the wagon.  This blog is a new effort to stay focused and motivated.  If you don't want to read it, that's fine.  The very fact that you can is all of the motivation that I need.

The plan is simple.  I am going to do my best to publish one blog post a day.  Each post will include three things: 1) my physical activity for that day, 2) my feelings on what I ate that day, 3) and anything else that I feel like saying.  The details may not be here... Let's be honest, no one cares how many curls I did at the gym.  I'm pretty sure that no one wants to know calorie-for-calorie what I ate on a given day.

Aside from the daily posts, I am going to publish my weight on the first of every month.  When I've lost weight in the past, I've found that the best motivator was knowing that someone else was going to watch me get on the scale at the end of the month.

Time for my first confession... I've eaten total crap for the last two days.  No joke.  I might have put on a couple of pounds in that short time.  I haven't been at work, which also happens to be where my gym is, so I have not gotten any exercise.  I haven't really even done any housework.  Basically, I've been a lazy gluton.  Today, I weigh 175 pounds.

No comments: