Friday, January 21, 2011

Whole Wheat Tortilla = 170 Calories?

I'm not gonna lie, I have been known to eat a lot.  There has been more than one occasion where Chris and I have split a medium pizza for dinner.  There have been days when I could put away four soft tacos.  Not the puny Taco Bell ones either.  I'm talking HUGE homemade tacos with ground beef, refried beans, sour cream, cheese, lettuce, onion, and salsa piled on.

That was before I realized that a whole wheat tortilla had 170 calories in it.  Seriously?  That means on those sinful nights, I was consuming 680 calories before I even put anything on the tortilla.  Yikes!  No wonder I'm 25 pounds overweight.  I'm shocked that I'm not heavier.

I had ONE of these tortillas tonight.  I made turkey, hummus, arugula, cucumber, and cheese "sandwiches" for dinner.  They were good, but the recipe I used to make the hummus is not a keeper.  I would have just used pita bread (I have no idea what the calories in a pita are...), but I needed the tortillas to make fajitas on another night.  Why buy both?

Now I'm seriously rethinking the fajitas that I found in a Rocco Dispirito book that is supposed to be full of healthy recipes.  He did say to use low carb tortillas, but they are double the price of the whole wheat tortillas that I bought.  I can't afford to pay $6 for a package of eight tortillas.  I guess I'll just have to limit myself to one tortilla and eat any remaining steak and veggies with a knife and fork.

Why must everything that is good for me be so expensive?  Why does a head of broccoli cost more than a box of Kraft Macaroni & Cheese?  I know the economics, it just doesn't seem right.

No comments: